Our Contribution to Community – The Role of Sustainable Antigonish
We aim to engage the community by:
- Inspiring, educating and challenging local individuals, organizations and public service providers to envision and work towards a greener and sustainable future.
- Partnering with local individuals, public service providers, NGO’s and businesses to encourage communications, networking and collaboration in creating change.
- Developing effective ways to protect and enhance quality of life locally.
- Recognizing opportunities for action and working together to achieve meaningful results on the ground.
Guiding Principles – Securing Our Future
Living Within Environmental Limits
- Respecting the limits of Earth’s environment, resources and biodiversity.
- Ensuring natural resources are protected and responsibly managed for future generations.
- Minimizing and sustainably managing waste production (cradle to cradle).
Ensuring a Strong, Healthy and Just Society
- Meeting the diverse needs of all people.
- Protecting human rights and promoting personal wellbeing, social cohesion and inclusion.
- Being particularly attentive to the vulnerable in society, and fostering equal opportunity and services for all.
Achieving a Sustainable Economy
- Building a strong and stable economy which gives opportunity and prosperity to all while respecting the wellbeing of all citizens and the environment.
- Encouraging innovation, cooperation, creativity and diversity in the local economy. Encouraging sustainable practices in business.
Promoting Trust, Collaboration and Good Governance
- Actively promoting effective, participative governance at all levels of society.
- Promoting creativity, collaboration, energy and diversity.
- Creating change through inspiration, trust, inclusivity, openness and transparency.
Nurturing Cultural Vitality and Exploration
- Ensuring ongoing cultural diversity and embracing cultural heritage.
- Nurturing artistic and creative expression
- Engaging in dialogue with regards to the health and benefits of the cultural norms of the day and providing leadership for change when needed.
Using Scientific Knowledge Responsibly
- Ensuring policy is developed and implemented on the basis of strong scientific evidence, while respecting scientific uncertainty and societal values.
- When in doubt, we will promote relying on the precautionary principle.